The Colored Carnegie Library (Houston) was founded in 1909. The library was originally housed inside Booker T. Washington High School until 1913, when the library received a building of its own from the Carnegie Foundation. In 1922, the library's administration was returned to the Houston Public Library System after eight years of independent operation by an all-black library board. Emma Myers was the first librarian (1909-1911).
Sources: Battles, David M. The History of Public Library Access for African Americans in the South or, Leaving Behind the Plow. Lanham: Scarecrow, 2009. 35. Print. ; Malone, Cheryl Knott. "Autonomy and Accomodation: Houston's Colored Carnegie Library, 1907-1922." Libraries and Culture 34.2 (1999): 95-112. Print. ; Malone, Cheryl Knott. "Quiet Pioneers: Black Women Public Librarians in the Segregated South." Vitae Scholasticae 19.1 (2000): 4, 8-11. Print.